Sunday, June 5, 2016

Trump Prediction


I’m not one to publish predictions.  Speculate yes, publish no. More than seven months ago I predicted that Tim Kaine would be named as Hillary Clinton’s running mate in this year’s election.  I’m still feeling pretty good about that one.  Yet, as far flung as that one might have seemed then, making predictions about Donald Trump is probably even more precarious. 

It seems the national media grinder has been engaged in endless predictions about the Donald since he entered the race only to end up incorrect and with the facial egg treatments to prove it. The atmosphere has been more like a game show than political analysis.

That said, I’m going to throw my prognostication into the ring anyway. I can’t help it, though in my case I base my prediction not on some in-depth understanding of political science, but rather on a simple (albeit non-professional) understanding of human behavior. Here it is:

For personal reasons I am somewhat familiar with the psychological condition known as a Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD).  The characteristics of this disorder, in part or in whole, are not uncommon.  However, when the characteristics of this disorder seriously impact both the psychological and physical well being of an individual, or those around them, it is relatively rare.

The conclusion that the “disorder” actually exists in an individual really requires diagnosis by a licensed psychiatrist or psychologist.  Of course that requires that the individual with NPD submit to treatment, which the condition itself makes unlikely.

 Frankly, in my layman’s opinion (and because of it) I believe Donald Trump has a NPD. It may be based only on the common-man axiom of; walks like a duck, smells like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc., but I feel it is close enough that to consider otherwise could be catastrophic for the Nation or the entire World…wow! Really??

Here are the characteristics of NPD that I pulled off the Mayo Clinic website. Other sites post characteristics that are essentially identical:


  • Having an exaggerated sense of self-importance
  • Expecting to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
  • Exaggerating your achievements and talents
  • Being preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
  • Believing that you are superior and can only be understood by or associate with equally special people
  • Requiring constant admiration
  • Having a sense of entitlement
  • Expecting special favors and unquestioning compliance with your expectations
  • Taking advantage of others to get what you want
  • Having an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
  • Being envious of others and believing others envy you
  • Behaving in an arrogant or haughty manner

Picture Donald Trump and read each one of these characteristics again. Can it get any closer?


Okay, there is a really scary part to this and, I believe, an interesting reason not to find it frightening.


The scary part is that the individual with NPD cannot psychologically take responsibility for his or her actions that are in conflict with the condition. In other words, if something goes wrong they cannot see their role in the problem or failure.  Bold face lies are standard fare.

As such they can become paranoid, looking to blame others for the predicament. In failure to find others to accuse (which is likely) they create imaginary villains. That’s where things get really dicey.  Existing in someone with power is dangerous, in a President….well; I don’t even want to go there.


So what is the not-so-frightening aspect of Donald Trump having NPD?  That’s where my prediction comes in.  I am predicting, at this point a full 6 weeks before the Republican Party Convention, that Donald Trump will not be his party’s nominee.

I believe Trump is already showing an inability to cope with the criticism being leveled against him.  His responses are becoming increasingly defensive and erratic.  All of us would have a problem with this, but for someone with a NPD it is like a poison IV, literally.  I am predicting that Trump will find someone, something, or a combination of both as a reason why he has no choice but to drop out of the race.

If I’m wrong is my prediction dead?  Not really. If his ego is sufficient to carry himself into the general election, then I further predict he will drop out of the general election before November for the same reason, to avoid the highly public pain and erratic behavior associated with having a Narcissistic Personality Disorder. 
 
What will that mean? If my predictions are correct it will be political dynamics that even the most fanciful writer for reality TV could never dream up. But if they try, I’m sure the Donald will audition for the lead role.

No comments: